Remove Ads

Poll: What should we do in relation to the future of ZEJ and the server issues?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start over at a new forum (probably hosted by Darkmaster on the rennervate.com server)
83.33%
5 83.33%
Stay here, and endure the problems that createmybb3 keeps dishing out to us
16.67%
1 16.67%
Other Ideas?
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of ZEJ
As I'm sure MANY of you are aware (and have quite clearly vocalized to me in a number of different ways), ZEJ has been plagued with gratuitous amounts of server problems from being hosted on createmybb3. While the forum software has been brilliant and this has been the home we have all set our roots into, the problems of slowdown, "PHP Violations," and other such nonsense is getting to be intolerable.

I'd really like to know if we can TAKE all of our data from the createmybb3 forum and move it over to a new server, so if one of you could ask the support staff on createmybb3.com's forums, that'd be brilliant.

So, I come to you now, people of ZEJ. I want to know what you want us to do. We have a few options, really, so I'll list them off.

1. [b]Start over at a new forum (probably hosted by Darkmaster on the rennervate.com server)[/b]
We would maintain the ZEJ masthead, and this forum would probably be kept alive as an archive for as long as createmybb3 will allow us to hold onto the thing. Somehow I'll probably backup a bunch of threads on my computer if possible, but I'm not sure how to do that. If we go on to a new forum, all the information from here is safely stored, and we don't have to put up with server issues unless Dark somehow encounters a problem. If we were to go with this, [b]we would likely wait until Ultimate Tournament 3 is finished.[/b]

2. [b]Stay here, and endure the problems that createmybb3 keeps dishing out to us[/b]
We could just grin and bear it. The troubles may end up being less frequent in the future, and maybe all of it will diminish with no future dilemmas. That way, we keep all of our progress intact and we can continue on as we always have in the past~

3. [b]Other Ideas?[/b]
I'd obviously be open to other ideas any of you may have. Please specify them in your post if you vote for this.

Well, that's that. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know. This is, of course, a democracy, so highest vote count will end up winning. I understand that some of you have registered so many times in so many places, but please, just bear with us as we work out the glitches! [b]I'd really like to see some discussion here too, so if you're going to vote, it'd be nice if you left your opinion with us.[/b]
Maybe I don't stay on long enough at one time or I haven't been here long enough but I don't notice any problems so, yeah I say we stay.
As of sometime late last night, we've been experiencing the absolute worst service from the mybb3 servers. I know this happens routinely once a month, but this time, we're experiencing something far worse than anything we have in the past months. In the past, the site would get a little slower, but it was manageable and we could still do things like we normally would. Now, it's tough to even get to a page without experiencing some sort of PHP error that makes things inoperable, and when things do work out for viewing a topic, it become increasingly difficult to eek out a post with coming across some sort of PHP Access Violation, where the mybb3 PHP script tricks itself into thinking that a non-member is posting when that isn't the case.

Therefore, I vote that we move to Darkmaster's server as quick as we possibly might. I'm currently working with mybb3 support to see if we can come up with an affordable price quote for transferring our posts quick and easy to Reeneverate, but they aren't cooperating quite well, and some say that it may cost up to 5 cents per post to transfer, meaning we'd be paying around a thousand or two thousand dollars just to transfer our humble little abode from one "country" to another "country". We need to halt anything we're doing with our important RP's and games and just transfer them to Dark's server as soon as we possibly may. This is becoming unbearable.

Furthermore, for those of you who didn't know, I'll be moving back to some place close to my hometown in California, so things may become a bit inconvenient for me when you combine that with some of my other family affairs currently going on in life. If I'm to be able to help effectively, this should be done in less than 3 weeks. Not saying that you guys absolutely [i]need[/i] my help for a seamless manual transfer, but I'd imagine it'd at least be easier.

And hey, maybe you can all get the different themes you've all always wanted when we're at a better server with more accessibility.
If I remember correctly the same this happened to Cult of Ustream's site. That site is entirely unusable now...

I say we jump ship while we still can.
I vote to move. As Flim mentioned, this same thing happened to the original Cult of Ustream Forums- especially certain ads on the page that would create problems, like a pop-up window saying "PRESS ESCAPE OR CLOSE THIS ALERT!" whenever one tried to change the page while using Internet Explorer. If transferring is an issue, then simply repost what's possible and important, and pay to transfer what's too far in to repost. The only things I can think of that would even need to be transferred like this are certain roleplays and some announcements. Beyond that, for nostalgia value and references' sake, simply keep this forum to look back on while Zej moves forward on Rennervate.

Just my two cents.
I agree with Kudamon, we really don't need everything that's on here. Transferring the important stuff should be the main goal.
(07-19-201107:49 AM)-J- Wrote: As of sometime late last night, we've been experiencing the absolute worst service from the mybb3 servers. I know this happens routinely once a month, but this time, we're experiencing something far worse than anything we have in the past months. In the past, the site would get a little slower, but it was manageable and we could still do things like we normally would. Now, it's tough to even get to a page without experiencing some sort of PHP error that makes things inoperable, and when things do work out for viewing a topic, [b]it become increasingly difficult to eek out a post with coming across some sort of PHP Access Violation, where the mybb3 PHP script tricks itself into thinking that a non-member is posting when that isn't the case.[/b]

Therefore, I vote that we move to Darkmaster's server as quick as we possibly might. I'm currently working with mybb3 support to see if we can come up with an affordable price quote for transferring our posts quick and easy to Reeneverate, but they aren't cooperating quite well, and some say that it may cost up to 5 cents per post to transfer, meaning we'd be paying around a thousand or two thousand dollars just to transfer our humble little abode from one "country" to another "country". We need to halt anything we're doing with our important RP's and games and just transfer them to Dark's server as soon as we possibly may. This is becoming unbearable.

Furthermore, for those of you who didn't know, I'll be moving back to some place close to my hometown in California, so things may become a bit inconvenient for me when you combine that with some of my other family affairs currently going on in life. If I'm to be able to help effectively, this should be done in less than 3 weeks. Not saying that you guys absolutely [i]need[/i] my help for a seamless manual transfer, but I'd imagine it'd at least be easier.

And hey, maybe you can all get the different themes you've all always wanted when we're at a better server with more accessibility.

Access Violations are when PHP itself (the interpreter, not the user!) tries to access server memory it isn't allowed to access.